The new National Education Policy aims at revamping the Indian Education System to meet the needs of the 21st century. It aims at discussion-based learning, experiential learning, job-oriented education for school students. Find below the highlights of structural change in school & college education:
The school education from 10+2 structure will change to 5+3+3+4 structure, that means:
– The entire schooling is divided into 4 different stages i.e. Foundational Stage, Preparatory Stage, Middle Stage & Secondary Stage.
Foundational Stage includes: Pre-school(3yrs) + Primary (1st & 2nd grades) – Total 5 yrs.
Preparatory Stage includes 3rd + 4th+ 5th grades – Total 3 yrs.
Middle Stage includes 6th + 7th + 8th grades – Total 3 yrs.
Secondary Stage includes: 1st phase: 9th + 10th grades & 2nd Phase: 11th + 12th grades – Total 4 yrs.
– Foundation Stage will have more flexible, multilevel, activity-based learning.
– Preparatory Stage will have experiential learning across the sciences, mathematics, arts, social sciences, and humanities.
– The middle Stage will have subject-oriented learning.
– Secondary Stage will have greater depth, greater critical thinking, greater attention to life aspirations, and greater flexibility and student choice of subjects. They will have semester wise exam and the final result will include the overall performance of the student throughout the year and it will not just be limited to exams.
– Experiential learning, discussion-based learning, analysis based learning will be given more focus.
– Students from 6th grade onwards will be introduced to vocational courses & internships.
– Computational thinking & Coding has been given more emphasis, 6th grade onwards coding sessions will be introduced to the students.
– Board exams for 10th & 12th will be made easier in the sense that they will test primarily the core capacities. Students put in the basic effort can easily score well in their exams.
– College admissions after 12th will not be based on the 12th score. Students will have the option to take the “Common Modular Entrance Exam” based on the score, the admissions will happen.
– Also, there will be no rigid subject system for Arts, Science & Commerce. From 9th grade itself, students will have the freedom to choose the subjects as per their desire.
– The Bachelors’s degree will be of 3yrs & 4yrs. Students have the option to exit the course anytime. Whoever completes 1 yr. of the course will be awarded a Certification course, with 2yrs of completion will be awarded Diploma, with 3yrs will be awarded Bachelors degree & with 4yrs of completion will be awarded degree + research work certificate.
– During Bachelors a student can opt for multiple courses based on their interest.
– MPhil degree has been discontinued. Masters will be for a year only and students can directly pursue Ph.D.
These are just a few important highlights regarding school & college education from the new policy. These changes have been implemented to ensure the student’s overall development. The focus has been shifted from studying to learn & implement.